Are you surprised that selfie is 2013â€™s word of the year? Â For those of you who donâ€™t know- a selfie is a photo of yourself, taken by yourself usually with a smartphone.Â
In The Gambia, every young person seems to be taking and posting selfies on social media sites. Itâ€™s becoming a famous hobby.Â Whatâ€™s On-Gambia decided to ask some young people the following questions:Â
- When did you start taking selfie
- Why do you like taking selfie
- What type of phone are you using?Â
Bubacarr Bob Keita, General Manager, Fire Protect (Gambia)Â
- I started taking it for a while now
- Itâ€™s easier and fun, because my girlfriend likes it (laughs)
- Iâ€™m using iPhoneÂ
Fatou Gassama, footballer, SwedenÂ
- I don't even remember when I started taking selfie
- I like taking unserious pictures and with selfies you can do that
- I'm using a iPhone 5sÂ
Alagie Sumbundu, student, The GambiaÂ
- I started on the 27th April, 2013
- Because it's fun
- I use iPhone 4SÂ
FatouSassy Ceesay, model, USAÂ
- I have been taking selfie for a while now but I didn't know that it even has a name for it until last year around May.
- Why I take selfie is because it's very easy to take and you don't have to bother other people to take your picture for you. Plus I like to see how I look before I head out.
- I use iPhone to take selfie but it doesn't matter what kind of phone you get. All you need is a front camera.