Not much is known about Fatoumatta Bah-Barrow, The Gambia’s First Lady who recently became an Ajaratou after performing Hajj in Saudi Arabia. Here are seven things you didn’t know about her.
1. Fatoumatta was raised by her aunt in Basse. What’s On-Gambia was unable to establish whether she was born in The Gambia or Guinea Conakry, but she spent most of her life in the Upper River Region before tying the knot with President Barrow.
2. How she met the President still remains a mystery, but the couple are both from the same region and might have crossed paths during their early adult life.
3. Fatoumatta speaks almost all the major local languages in the country, but she’s most fluent in Fula and Wollof.
4. Her level of education also remains a mystery. Since becoming First Lady, she has never read any statement in public. Most of the times, ministers would be assigned to do it on her behalf.
5. She never held a proper job. Before her husband’s election victory, Fatoumatta spent most her time at home taking care of the children.
6. Fatoumatta is related to the famous DJ Mo of Vibes FM. According to our source, the woman who brought her up in Basse is DJ Mo’s sister.
7. Sources close her office revealed she treats her staff terribly. She is alleged to have an ugly side and a temper that many Gambians wouldn’t believe.